2 tablespoons meringue powder OR 2 egg whites
6 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or lemon juice
1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
Zip lock sandwich bags
Food coloring & artificial flavoring (optional)
1) Cut Palisades Parchment paper into strips.
2) Whip together confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder OR egg whites, and lemon juice on low speed using a stand mixer for 1 minute, scrape bowl and continue to whip for 10 minutes on high speed.
3) Divide “icing” into small bowls. Color each bowl different colors. If desired, add different flavorings to each. You can avoid the coloring and still flavor.
4) If icing is too thick, thin out with drops of water, until it is the consistency of sour cream. A drop should hold its shape and slowly smooth out to create smooth button.
5) Pour each color into a sandwich bag and seal. (Placing the open baggie in a small cup and then pouring the icing in, is a great trick to keep things nice and clean). Then cut a VERY small corner off of each bag.
6) Squeeze a drop of icing at a time onto the paper. You can place the strip of paper on top of a template; you will then see where to place each drop evenly. Make your own designs HAVE FUN being CREATIVE.
7) Place on baking sheets in a cool dry place uncovered dry overnight.
8) Candy will harden overnight, Store in a zipper bag.